Re: Port Mapping Questions

  • Subject: Re: Port Mapping Questions
  • From: Mark Harrison \(Yahoo!\)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:30:00 +0000

John,

Yes - in retrospect, that's what we should have done.

The trouble is, the "additional port binding" bit is in the spec,
and was
already out, and widely in use before I picked up on it. We have discussed
this in the past, and decided to pretty much leave it "as is" in
the
interests of stability.

Worth noting that xAPplications _do_ check for other applications bound to
port first, so the problem only occurs if the other application starts
AFTER
a xAPplication binds... and it won't be the first to start either :-(

I'm aware of at least one home installation with over a hundred xAP
applications running... but nothing like the 226 that would be required to
hit xPL.... and they certainly AREN'T all on the same PC :-) (most are
hardware telemetry devices.)

M.