Re: Port Mapping Questions

  • Subject: Re: Port Mapping Questions
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:32:00 +0000

I'll start with this one first whilst I have a ponder on the
information you've provided.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:07:26 -0800, "Michael McSharry"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=xStLJff6uIpj8T52Z6BDu2vlDg4dW4CtWJcJFqodvBVkr-L8JH2J2mVkuCWPR6CT081VxknQFNBjjmEDtbTk1OqWDW0c">mcs101main@w...</a>>
wrote:

>While xAPListeningIP and xAPBroadcastIP did not seem to yield desired
results I
would still like to know what each key is actually trying to accomplish.

The idea was to allow different network interfaces to be connected to
by the xAPplication. I don't have any machines here with multiple
network interfaces so it was more planning ahead than anything else.

xAPListeningIP" is the IP address that the application connects to on
the local machine. It finds a the first free port from 3639 and binds
to that address for incoming data. It is this port number that it
pumps out in the Port= parameter of its heartbeats, as you'd expect.

xAPBroadcastIP" is the IP address that the application transmits on.
This defaults to 255.255.255.255 if it isn't specified.

The idea was that you could use these 2 settings in tandom to select a
particular network interface. Otherwise the application just

You haven't got "xAPListeningPort" specified anywhere do you? Not
unsurprisingly that allows you to tweak the port the xAPplication
listens for xAP message on. Obviously this defaults to 3639, but it
does provide a means to move this around should the need arise.

I have just found one of the transmit functions that wasn't using
these one of these variables correctly in one particular constructor,
ignoring the override.

Whether this one edit would make a difference I'm not sure.

Do you use "xAPBroadcastOnLocalSubnet" at all? That probably
wouldn't
work so well in a multi-NIC situation.

Ooooo, I just found something in the code that might explain the
duplicates. I'll fix it up, compile up Hub/Viewer and send you a link
to some test versions if that's okay with you?

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=gZvLuwWDgZKLTVtW-jwmwBXxazdLOdJ1pEE-Up1X9rTIxRhTtfnedReiEGX0GFKxxdLqSMN5-z6n9L_MKozYbQ">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net