Re: xFx GUI Plugin bits

  • Subject: Re: xFx GUI Plugin bits
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:04:00 +0000

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:27:36 -0000, "Paul Barrett"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=iqLCAPGbEcpXqDW23CvONlMyyWCuGrGTTOlJ_AhX34gBR168dFFIDZtMc5EyodFt-5YBkFIQHra8ylsCSGH4A2qM">pbarrett@r...</a>>
wrote:

>Do you have any example code for using the GUI parts of the runtime
from
>within the plugins?
>
>i.e. customizing the grid and the properties page

Loads. What would be worthwhile is if I were to package up one of the
simple little plugin modules in the same style with the full GUI
gubbins, and then use that as an example.

Leave it with me, but in the meantime have a look at
xAPDisplayEventTag and its derived classes. I use these objects to
pack information for the runtime application to put onto its display
surface. It's very simple. For example, when I send a msg which I then
want to be able to view, I do something along these lines:

xAPDisplayEventMessageTag tag = new xAPDisplayEventMessageTag(msg);
String block_names = <some stuff>

OutputMessage("Slim Name", msg.Header.Class.ToString(),
block_names, tag,
xAPDisplayEventArgs.EVENT_ICON.INFORMATION);

Bits 'n' bobs elided to keep it simple. The parameters vary but you've
already been output information, so you just have to flop into that
mechanism. The extra information that you can view by 2x clicking the
entry comes from the 'tag' object as it gets attached to the entry on
the display grid.

The icon comes from the last parameter. These are obviously ignored by
the console runtime.

There are different flavours of the xAPDisplayEventTag class for
different circumstances such as exceptions caught. Have a look at the
code in the xAPUtilities project if you've downloaded the xFx source
code.

That should get you started. The properties form is a bit more
involved, but in essence you just have to supply the runtime with an
interface that allows it to create the properties form, which can take
any shape and content you like, the runtime application doesn't care.

I have a style and shape for this that I've used throughout my apps,
as you've probably noticed! Do you want to do something similar or
will the basic information so that you can roll your own be sufficient
here?

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=lWjPgqTW5QpVwHWDSlhhkbaXFBMUoNJd0zYOa_4NTzwX5_pCPU_VlubO_h5-AYH6yUsfkerLUBvX8-rleEQ">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net