RE: X10 xAP Framework plugin - beta testing

  • Subject: RE: X10 xAP Framework plugin - beta testing
  • From: Edward Pearson
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:20:00 +0000

Oops - missed that PS at the end, sorry.

> PS I understand this is a xAP Framework first for you - was
> it written in VB.Net and if so are you intending to release
> source ? - I am tempted to look at recoding my Meteor
> connector this way rather than using the OCX.

Yes, I work in c#. I learnt it in order to use xFx! My coding background is
in assembler, C, C++ and Java so it was a pretty easy learning curve. I am
incredibly impressed by the productivity of the combination of c#, .net and
Visual studio. I've done plenty of VBA - mostly for financial spreadsheets.
So I'm quite happy to avoid vb.net thank you. VB does have some nice
features that C# has inherited like foreach and, erm, oh, that's all isn't
it :-)

It's not my first. I did a xAP Quasar3145 connector back in June and then
the all the Exstreamer client stuff is xFX too. This is my first xFx
plug-in. You are welcome to the source code (some of it even has comments
in
it). I'd have published it if I had a website (it's on the to-do list).

Both the Quasar and CM12 use John Hind's CommBase classes which were
published on MSDN. Very easy to work with. Can't remember off hand if there
was a VB source version - but one of the joys of .net is that doesn't
matter.

Land line - how quaint :-)