Port Mapping Questions

  • Subject: Port Mapping Questions
  • From: Michael McSharry
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:07:00 +0000

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">I am
configured with 2 PCs.&nbsp; One runs the hub service, the Message
Viewer, and some other applications (call it PC A).&nbsp; The second
runs the Message Viewer which acts as a hub and some other applications
(call it PC B).&nbsp; I'm observing full visibility of message traffic
on PC A, but no application messages from A by B.&nbsp; I do get A's
viewer and hub messages&nbsp;on B.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">I observe
on A's viewer that all messages have a From location of 127.0.0.1:3645
which makes sense if this is the hub to view port.&nbsp; On B I have
three observations and these are the reason for the
questions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2">1.&nbsp; IP of the messages from B's hub and
viewer are on IP 148.x.x.x which is the satellite interface rather than the
LAN interface.&nbsp; This interface is shared via
ICS.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">2. Only
Hub and Viewer are seen on B.&nbsp; All other xap applications are not
visible on B, yet they are visible on the viewer running on
A.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">3. The
port numbers assigned by the viewer/hub on B are in the 1xxx range rather
than 3xxx range.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">I have
duplications of messages as previously identified&nbsp; When I
attempted to use combinations of the filter keys&nbsp;xAPListeningIP
and&nbsp;xAPBroadcastIP it did take care of duplications,
but&nbsp;did this by&nbsp;blocking all messages in one direction or
the other.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Is there a
way to configure the service hub so it is using the LAN 192 rather than the
WAN 148 Network Interface Card?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Is there a
reason ports in the neighborhood of 1130 are used by the viewer/hub and is
it a concern?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Why are
heartbeats from the hub and viewer observed from A to B, but other
application heartbeats are not seen from A to B?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">While
xAPListeningIP and&nbsp;xAPBroadcastIP did not seem to yield desired
results I would still like to know what each key is actually trying to
accomplish.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">The
summary configuration and observations are below:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0"
width="570" border="0" x>
<COLGROUP>
<COL width="123">
<COL width="447">
<TBODY>
<TR height="17">
<TD width="123" height="17"><FONT
size="2">PC A</FONT></TD>
<TD width="447"><FONT size="2">IP
Adapters</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT size="2">Satellite /
ICS</FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT
size="2">148.xxx.xxx.xxx</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2">LAN</FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">192.xxx.xxx.xxx /
127.0.0.1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer
Sees</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Hub on A<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>@ 127.0.0.1:3645</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer on A<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>@ 127.0.0.1:3645</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer on B
@<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>127.0.0.1:3645</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Apps on A<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>@<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>127.0.0.1:3645</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Apps on B @<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>127.0.0.1:3645</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT size="2">PC
B</FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">IP
Adapters</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2">LAN</FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">192.xxx.xxx.xxx /
127.0.0.1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer
Sees</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Hub on A @
148.x.x.x:3640</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer on A<SPAN>&nbsp;
</SPAN>@ 148.x.x.x:3644</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Viewer on B @
192.x.x.x:3640</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Apps on A -
None</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR height="17">
<TD height="17"><FONT
size="2"></FONT></TD>
<TD><FONT size="2">Apps on B -
192.x.x.x:1130</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></FONT>