Re: Re Debug messages

  • Subject: Re: Re Debug messages
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:07:00 +0000

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:10:58 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=DhyX9FB6BE4qcOAOSRG_7l7FjGtsXOhKkpA8nACAEbq5sPGV00kjP5JwrQ4KbyD5l0XBO05w-FGh801_OQ">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>I while back I was thinking that we should have a xAP based error
>notification using xAP messages - a sort of schema for sending out
>diagnostic / debugging /error messages such that a central application
could
>log or monitor them. Maybe an opportunity for a central application to
>create logging for components maintained in one file (divided into
sections
>)from many sources.
>
>Perhaps two schemas...
>
>Class=xAP.Error
>Class=xAP.Debug
>
>And within each perhaps three levels... possibly the block names should
be
>identical though with just the class names different.
>
>Error.info
>Error.warning
>Error.critical Fatal ??
>
>Debug.info
>Debug.warning
>Debug.critical
>
>Or alternatively put the severity into the block
>
>xAP.error
>{
>severity=critical
>
>All info can be provided within the block with perhaps a description
and
>details on your specific logfile location
>
>}
>debug.warning
>{
>description=Bad UID encountered
>detail=A UID of FF212300 with a source address of
>acme.lightcontroller.lounge:centrelight was received
>logfile=errorlog.txt
>path=c:\xAP\MyApp\logs
>}

I was going to have a go at implementing this inside xFx.

In the scheme of message context, does having the severity level
(info, warning, critical, fatal) in the block name have any advantages
for anyone?

It feels like data to me and not something that identifies the type of
block at all.

I can't see that the different severity levels would need different
message block formats to justify it?

Class = xAP.Debug

debug
{
severity={info, warning, critical, fatal}
description={summary}
detail={longer detail message}
logfile=
path=
}

Can anybody think of anything usefully unique for a xAP.Error class?
Or just reuse the above message block format?

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=vuvVcEQs3vvGQq2r0W3tempIbj2siw-Sa35jo6kW2hTUQzckw7BYVtTVC8EfcZNAAVg1Ur7TxMc0aEAq4jqw_ztS">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net