Re: xAP Slim Connector

  • Subject: Re: xAP Slim Connector
  • From: Michael McSharry
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 06:46:00 +0000

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Yes 12-Dec
is the one that I used for development purposes. Kevin is the only one who
received the output of this effort and I do not run a real Slim device so I
cannot be of much help with respect to a comparative evaluation.&nbsp;
The 12-Dec version did reduce the network traffic considerably vs the
released connector.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV><B>From:</B> <A title="lists@xxxxxxx"
href="mailto:lists@xxxxxxx";>Stuart
Booth</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A
title="xAP_developer@xxxxxxx" href="mailto:xAP_developer@xxxxxxx";>xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, February 28, 2004 5:45
AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [xAP_developer] xAP Slim
Connector</DIV>
<DIV></DIV><TT>Kevin has been using the (as yet
unreleased) Slim Connector for awhile now, but found that builds from this
year were notably slowerthan one from mid-December.I've just been comparing
the very latest one I've prepared and this12-Dec version, which I believe
you have a copy of, Michael? I'm onlycomparing the console versions here as
I haven't tested the serviceversion, and the GUI version has all its knobs
and whistles on.It's a little difficult to judge in some respects, but I
*think* thenewest build (in console mode at least, and therefore presumably
as aservice too) is much faster than the 12-Dec version. When I amchanging
tracks via the remote there are different messages appearingbetween the 2
builds, as I have changed the way the newer versionprocesses the Slim
events. So that's hard to compare by eye.But if I hold down an IR button
when the player is in its off mode theevents whizz past much faster on the
new build.In fact, if I count the number of events that are displ
ayed for anysingle second during the test run, I find that I am seeing
twice thenumber of messages per second for the newest version.I have
counted this a few times and the ratio between the two remainsabout the
same. This suggests the newer build is up to twice as fastas your previous
favourite version, Kevin, so I think I can saythere's no reason to keep the
older one!And coincidentally I am running both versions simultaneously here
sothey are both receiving the exact same set of events from the
sameSlimServer.S-- Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>xAPFramework.net - a
xAP software development framework for .net<A href="http://www.xapautomation.org/";>http://www.xapautomation.org/</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A href="http://www.xapframework.net/";>http://
www.xapframework.net/</A></TT>