Targetted events

I've just been tidying up and updating the RR Connector when I came
across some scenarios similar to ones Kevin has mentioned wrt BSC.

If I sent a targetted message that changes the RR location
name/description (a featurette of the RR SDK), I want to send out an
event message indicating it has changed. So it's a fairly generic
problem to have.

Q1: should this event be targetted back at the originator of the
change request, or a more general broadcast?

Q2: if nothing has actually changed should I munch the original change
request, or just act upon it as if it actually HAD changed something?

As far as Q1 goes, I'm tending towards a targetted response unless it
changes locally e.g. inside the Connector, in which case a general
broadcast is appropriate.

I am also wondering what to do about the case where something
partially changes. Maybe there are 2 parameters being assigned, but
only one of these actually makes a change. A .Event message might
include just those parts that have changed. But if nothing changes
we're back to absorbing the change request and not acting on it. The
sender has no way of knowing it was acted upon, even if nothing
changed.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/