Re: Re Debug messages

  • Subject: Re: Re Debug messages
  • From: mcs101main@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:28:51 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_28840_1087507731_0

I remember this.  I think my initial reaction was excessive categorization,
but now I like it better.  The option of the Severity being a key rather
than a section header is my preference.

I still, however, believe that the hbeat should have more use than just as
an message with an application source and hub sink.  A heartbeat should be
able to be used to determine when a service can be provided.  It then has
value to the layer of applications that are trying to manage the big
picture.

-------------- Original message from Stuart Booth : -------------- Mention
of debug/error xAP messages came up elsewhere. I promised to
find the thread and post the schema I've been using.

Here it is ... look at the date this first came up. Wow, time has
moved ever onwards.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:10:58 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
<lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I while back I was thinking that we should have a xAP based error
>notification using xAP messages - a sort of schema for sending out
>diagnostic / debugging /error messages such that a central application
could
>log or monitor them. Maybe an opportunity for a central application to
>create logging for components maintained in one file (divided into
sections
>)from many sources.
>
>Perhaps two schemas...
>
>Class=xAP.Error
>Class=xAP.Debug
>
>And within each perhaps three levels... possibly the block names should
be
>identical though with just the class names different.
>
>Error.info
>Error.warning
>Error.critical   Fatal ??
>
>Debug.info
>Debug.warning
>Debug.critical
>
>Or alternatively put the severity into the block
>
>xAP.error
>{
>severity=critical
>
>All info can be provided within the block with perhaps a description
and
>details on your specific logfile location
>
>}
>debug.warning
>{
>description=Bad UID encountered
>detail=A UID of FF212300 with a source address of
>acme.lightcontroller.lounge:centrelight was received
>logfile=errorlog.txt
>path=c:\xAP\MyApp\logs
>}
>
>      Any thoughts ??  Gives a way to see real time problems and also
>manage the many different log locations that people will be using..

Here's the schema with some words shamelessly stolen from a post of
Patrick's. I've combined several postings in this thread together.
I'll add this to the xAP site.

xAP Error/Debug Message Schema v1.0

Class = xAP.Debug

Debug
{
Severity={info, warning, critical, fatal}
-- mandatory
Description={summary}
-- mandatory
Category={hierarchical error category}
-- mandatory

Detail={longer detail message}
-- optional
Logfile=
-- optional
}

Class = xAP.Error

Distinguishes between technical errors (bugs) and application errors
(stuff that didn't work out right, or couldn't be completed). For
example, a technical error might be the result of a null pointer being
detected somewhere where it wasn't expected. An application error
might result from failure to validate a particular message targeted at
a device, or, say, failure of a local lookup for a scanned barcode or
similar.

Error
{
Severity={info, warning, critical, fatal}
-- mandatory
Description={summary}
-- mandatory
Category={hierarchical error category}
-- mandatory

Detail={longer detail message}
-- optional
Logfile=
-- optional
}

Error.Application
{
severity={info, warning, critical, fatal}
-- mandatory
description={summary}
-- mandatory
category={hierarchical error category}
-- mandatory

detail={longer detail message}
-- optional
logfile=
-- optional
}

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/