Re: Heartbeat stopped messages

  • Subject: Re: Heartbeat stopped messages
  • From: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:06:55 -0000

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Stuart Booth <lists@x> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:29:50 -0000, patrick@l... wrote:
>
> >I think notification of generic errors of this type should
probably
> >use a standard class as a matter of policy (e.g. xap-user-error,
xap-
> >technical-error) and intercepted and displayed in A.N.other GUI --
> >just because there's so many potential combinations; it would be
> >difficult to cram meaningful error descriptions (end user
> >description, error code, application state etc) into a poor
heartbeat.

> This better describes my own feelings actually.
>
> There was a small class schema for xAP.Debug and xAP.Error
suggested a
> while back now (I'll dig out the post if I can find it) which allows
> some basic information to be reported.
>
> I'd only used these lightly myself until last night

[snip]
nice!

Following your previous post, I can see value in being able to
determine whether or not a device is basically able to offer a
service over and above being alive. Ceasing to send heartbeats just
because you know that some hardware you drive has stopped responding
is a bit draconian, and some kind of *basic* feedback in terms of
availability seems like a good plan. How it interoperates with
subaddressing is, erm, "interesting". Perhaps Kevin has some
thoughts?

Patrick