Re: Heartbeat stopped messages

  • Subject: Re: Heartbeat stopped messages
  • From: mcs101main@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:57:38 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_18686_1087268258_0

In my opinion there should be some mechanism at the protocol level whereby
a node can notify that it is degraded.   It can be relegated to a lower
level class, but it seems that the periodic heartbeat exists solely for the
purpose of knowing the availabilty of a function.  A function that can
respond to a hearbeat, but cannot perform is primary function should not
show up on the network the same as a fully functional node.  A node could
also exit when it recognizes that it is degraded, but then the system would
not know that a problem exists and maintenance is required.

-------------- Original message from Stuart Booth : -------------- On Mon,
14 Jun 2004 21:45:23 +0000, mcs101main@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Sometime in the future I propose that values other than black &
white be available in support of a generalized health managment approach.
For example, built-in-test infomation such as the connection to the RR was
pulled from the PC but the RR connector is still running.

--

Would those not be more specific to the application/device though,
rather than a set of more general "I'm alive", "I've

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/