Heartbeat stopped messages

  • Subject: Heartbeat stopped messages
  • From: Stuart Booth <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:30:18 +0100

Yonks ago I suggested adding a "xap-hbeat.stopped" class to
partner
"xap-hbeat.alive" messages, but used when the application is
closing
down normally. For example:

xap-hbeat
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF102000
class=xap-hbeat.stopped
source=KCSoft.RedRat.anya
interval=60
port=52000
pid=3460
}

I believe James is doing similar now too. Do we think this should be
added to the xAP spec as it is not currently included there??

Viewer and Hub(GUI) are both designed to make use of this particular
message in their own ways. I don't know what other uses it serves, but
it is a neat way of signalling a clean termination of an application
rather than a crash (h/b's stop and are detected after 2 h/b
intervals):
a) Viewer greys out the tree branch immediately to indicate it is no
longer alive.
b) Hub unregisters the client immediately rather than timing it out.
c) xFx no longer generates a misleading xAPp not responding event as
it can distinguish between the two events.

(Currently testing the xAP RedRat Connector as a Windows Service. Small wee
problemette now fixed following a tip from Chris).

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/