Re: Display schemas

  • Subject: Re: Display schemas
  • From: James
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:17:00 +0000

> As some of you know I am working on an embedded solution called
> a 'menu controller' at the moment. One of the tasks I would like it
> to do is display the data you are talking about with the xAP TV
> application i.e. now and next on TV but on a demand basis not a push
> from the server. So, you might select from the menu
> system 'House/Lounge/TV/Now and next' and it would send a xAP
> request for the data which would then get displayed. Has anyone
> thought about this scenario and does the TV app support this sort of
> request model?
Not yet!
> If not can it potentially?

Oh yes...

The rough plan will be:

now.playing / next.playing
Is sent every so often (say 15minutes) and also when it changes

query.playing / results.playing
Using a similar schema to now.showing you could query for data based on
any fields and then xaptv would send the results back (targeted?)

Class=query.playing

query
{
station=bbc1
title=*east*
}

would return

class=results.playing

query
{
station=bbc1
title=*east*
result=1/50
}
info.playing
{
station=bbc1
title=Eastenders
starting...
ending...
}

class=results.playing

query
{
station=bbc1
title=*east*
result=2/50
}
info.playing
{
station=bbc1
title=Eastenders next episode
starting...
ending...
}

etc

I would then add some 'useful' functions to items such as start= so that
you could say start=now for programs starting from now so devices don't
need to know the current time when they request data

Two other simple queries should probably exist too,

class=now.query
query
{
request=yes
}

class=next.query
query
{
request=yes
}

to re-trigger the now.playing/next.playing broadcasts

That's the rough concept, class names will change as the above is just
to get the idea. Does this cover all you need? One other thing is that
xmltv will at some point change their xml format which will allow more
info per program like repeats,genre,actors etc. So the schemas will
likely expand.

The only other things I can think might be wanted are triggers based on
program info, like favourites, that could send out specific messages
when they are about to be on.
I think adding PVR to it might be pushing it a bit:-) but controlling
one might be an option...hmmm

James