Message block layout queryette

  • Subject: Message block layout queryette
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:42:00 +0000

I'm adding in a feature request to the POP3 Mailbox Monitor - one of
these days it'll come out of beta-testing! Preview beta's available
upon request however.

So it now sends out an "email removed from mail server" xAP
message
when it detects that a previously seen email is no longer present on
the mail server.

But then I realise I might be able to detect several messages that
have been removed from the mail server all at once.

The options:

1. Do I send multiple individual messages?
2. Do I send a single message with multiple message IDs in the one
block?
3. Do I send a single message with multiple message.removed blocks?

These things always start so simple! 1 is easiest to implement. 2 is
hardest but most compact. 3 is easy enough but fatter and harder to
deal with in a receiver perhaps.

Examples (headers not necessarily well formed):

*** 1. Multiple separate xAP message: ***

Xap-header
{
Class=Mail.Incoming
Source=KCSoft.POP3.anya:mail_server_com.username
:
}
Message.Removed
{
MsgID={email message ID text}
}

:

Xap-header
{
Class=Mail.Incoming
Source=KCSoft.POP3.anya:mail_server_com.username
:
}
Message.Removed
{
MsgID={email message ID text}
}

*** 2. Single Message/multiple entries/single block: ***

Xap-header
{
Class=Mail.Incoming
Source=KCSoft.POP3.anya:mail_server_com.username
:
}
Message.Removed
{
MsgID.1={email message ID text}
:
MsgID.{X}={email message ID text)
}

*** 3. Single message/multiple blocks: ***

Xap-header
{
Class=Mail.Incoming
Source=KCSoft.POP3.anya:mail_server_com.username
:
}
Message.Removed.1
{
MsgID={email message ID text}
}
:
Message.Removed.{X}
{
MsgID={email message ID text)
}

Any preferences/thoughts anyone? I'm actually favouring option #2
myself, and multiple individual messages in that structure if there
are a lot to be sent out - this keeps message volume and size down.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=W75GpJzCRa35KKlSaIq3WlZkOQPqsXavauA26gYmH1Dsb7sXZKZgFZV2j4ZmK4iF7KNdvGPdUPRw30YqR84">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net