RE: Re: Query / Response type messages

  • Subject: RE: Re: Query / Response type messages
  • From: Patrick Lidstone \(Personal E-mail\)
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:09:00 +0000

This is a really sound design policy/best practice, and should be
"policy" IMO.
Reliable xAP applications MUST be stateless (in terms
of dependencies between successive messages) because of the possibility
of message loss. Including what I would call a "context envelope"
in
the response obviously restricts the size of the request, but the robust
approach wins out. There is a case to be made for permitting the
inclusion
of private, opaque, sender-specific data as part of the context envelope
as necessary.
As a side note, the technique can occasionally be useful with generic
broadcast interactions, although it's most useful when targeting
messages.

Patrick