Re: Query / Response type messages

  • Subject: Re: Query / Response type messages
  • From: Edward Pearson
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:25:00 +0000

Well, I didn't start out with particularly strong views on the
targetted response to status request; just seemed sensible for some
reason. Now having read the thread below I think:

1) My original intention was to make it easier for the requestor to
identify the response to their request. And putting their source in
the reply body would be fine for that - maybe that should be done in
addition. It's just that it feels like a private conversation is
going on: you ask a question, I tell you the answer. Others can
listen in if they've taken the decision to listen to all
conversations. Otherwise they should listen just for untargetted
status.event and status.info messages that I send; those should keep
them well informed.

Maybe you're thinking that I'm suggesting something where all status
messages are targetted - not at all; purely the responses to
specific requests. Devices should report status change 'events' and
periodic 'info' messages as broadcast as per your original
suggestion. I'm just adding a little extra on top of that. Like
Stuart says; different levels.

2) Don't follow the 'increase loading on limited capability devices'
line. Having very specific responses targetted keeps irelevant stuff
away from nodes that aren't interested.

3) Oh, what's the "ACK / sequencing suggestions" stuff? - I may
have
missed something here. Where's it documented (or should I just
search the archive for ACK?)

Comiserations on the hard drives.

Always a fan of the gross mis-quote... To loose one hard drive is
bad luck; but to loose two seems careless :->

Lastly, is there any better way of positing to the group without
using this 'pigging' web form?

Happy New Year!

Edward

--- In <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=a9J1A32OKu50u4ZSaBddiurOTpenW9kDyopPE3i1qDHtL4jXnwLV0ECMz8QKdvrEt9jwz2am_vDA63EbCcfBA7JkSQ">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>,
Stuart Booth <lists@x> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:15:13 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
> <lists@u...> wrote:
>
> > > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:46:40 -0000, "Edward
Pearson"