RE: Re: Query / Response type messages

  • Subject: RE: Re: Query / Response type messages
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:15:00 +0000

I'll come back to you shortly on the other BSC bits Edward - TBH
it's a while since I wrote that so I need a refresher.
Ironically I had two drives fail on me over Xmas and I lost quite a
bit of recent work. One casualty was the BSC source for the C-Bus
controller. So I will have to redo it . I have the compiled code running
here though fwiw. Better suggestions on schema naming is just the sort of
feedback I wanted, keep them coming.
Comments inline...

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=sgGakwls9dfpz0w-8Eu4mBdpaYCEcnQ9xEsK16AbjjNEADR8Yazafk4an--ODCVljYb2S6dWVwz1EK7a-YS8KRs">lists@x...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=UuvLOS9dxn_QNTzEx5S4HAksHjQuKWXO9PoIT7nAoO0_dxuRAPARKyeb6_zpcVbRL_dZd14B7DFWV484JoYqFOAJ714R2Q">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=3DDwjIx8m71_Yehb0JYlx7WTAldOZHOdq3JEeW0Z-endUq9omE39cyoC4LFepCWB0SrziScM_Y7_i_5dibrHQnR4CEfiznLF3FQ">edward.mailgroup@b...</a>>
wrote:

> >I think the xAPstatus.response should be targetted at the
> sender of the
> >xAPstatus.request.
>
> Now there's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of
> before. I think I shall update my various applications to
> do that as I like that.

I am interested in what you feel the benefit is here - except obviously the
originator knows that the device responded directly to this request. If
that
is a significant benefit then perhaps we could address that a variety of
ways , for example by including the originators source address in the body,
or our ACK / sequencing suggestions. I envisage 'demanding' a response from
devices which will force them to target the source request directly.

There was some thought went into this original non targeted response when I
suggested it. Given that the device is reporting current status then all
devices are interested in this info, not just the one that originated the
request. Some devices may filter incoming packets based on 'target' and
could therefore drop the response. If targeting was used then listeners
interested in status would have to receive and parse ALL xAP messages (even
ones not targeted at themselves) to inspect the schema before knowing
whether it was a status message. This could significantly increase loading
on limited capability devices. Therefore I felt it was wrong and all status
information should be sent untargeted.