Re: Re: Query / Response type messages

  • Subject: Re: Re: Query / Response type messages
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:44:00 +0000

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:46:40 -0000, "Edward Pearson"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=QUehshlbk35--D6eURSYnRcYTFvCMyD6BDIdDMfg4uZKGsXChQrVlQiQunnVv0Z7_XY_I-2WcQCQ7HpelBYOB_LXgfnFLbLZag">edward.mailgroup@b...</a>>
wrote:

>1) It does seem a litle weird in BSC to have the response to a
>request being in different schema. Makes it harder to document for
>one. I think I'd prefer:
>
>Class=xAPstatus
> xAPstatus.request < request for status
> xAPstatus.reply < response to request

I've used {Block}.Notification generally, but I much prefer
"reply" as
it's a lot shorter &amp; more compact, and more expressive of the
intent
of the block.

I'd be up for changing the WHA schema to match, but I don't
necessarily know what that might impact.

> xAPstatus.event < unsolicited notification of status
>change
> xAPstatus.info < unsolicited notification, nothing has
>changed

I also like this distinction. Good clarity there I'd say.

>I think the xAPstatus.response should be targetted at the sender of
>the xAPstatus.request.

Now there's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of before. I think I
shall update my various applications to do that as I like that.

>2) WHA is missing the differentiation between event and info. So at
>the moment xAPjukebox spits out
>xAP-Audio.Query::Playlist.Event
>messages every few seconds even though the only stuff that has
>changed is the report of progress through the track. PlayList.Info
>would be more appropriate with Playlist.Event sent on track changes.

I added a fair number of event messages to the WHA schema in early
November as it happens. It's shocking to me to think that's now almost
2 months ago and I still haven't got the application that uses these
out the door! It's been done for ages, but unreleased as I wanted the
GUI shell for it and all the others working - which it now mostly is.

The schema updates should be in the usual places online though. I
implemented a playlist event as follows:

Class=xAP-Audio.Playlist.Event

Now.Playing
{
Title="title"
--- mandatory (may be empty if data is unavailable)
Artist="artist"
--- mandatory (may be empty if data is unavailable)
Album="album"
--- mandatory (may be empty if data is unavailable)

Path="path to current track"
--- optional
Duration="title duration"
--- optional
Index="playlist index"
--- optional
Tracks="number of tracks in the current playlist"
--- optional (Index and Tracks combine to indicate this is the nth of Y
tracks)
Genre="genre"
--- optional
}

This pretty well covers most of the audio query parameters I think.

I don't however spit out information messages yet. I liked that about
your Exstreamer implementation and do mean to add it for the Slim.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=n9hFnVGTEgBTY8yFC9-mCo3aEFQ3mg9rtWBGXtj68LBkd7s4vcwedpjF7XzS9gjNlxoccn-490CkUYmhiA">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net