Re: Viewer Tooltip thoughts

  • Subject: Re: Viewer Tooltip thoughts
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:55:00 +0000

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:44:44 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=X3UhCTlay7HfmSXC2YxkBrJSOLryUNn_UszT2dp3W7kuOOU8sIeYTsJcQ8I8dUWxCbNFJH0Q9DFtYXJTBJoRfKw">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> Would it be feasible to have a tooltip popup that appeared when you
>hovered over a message that displayed the message ?? I don't know how
>flexible this feature is in preserving line breaks etc but it would
have
>made wading through several hundred messages much easier for me (rather
than
>having to open and close each one).

Actually, code to do a tooltip showing the message is in Viewer
already. Problem is that it doesn't work terribly well *at all*. It
was one of several experiments I've tried out that I haven't finished
yet.

There isn't really the ability in the list view to cope with tooltips
as you move over individual items or columns - just the whole control
itself.

As a result, if I update the tooltip with the appropriate xAP message
the tip sort of stays on screen and just changes its contents as you
move around the view. It looks and feels wrong.

A quick work-around would be to make it a toggleable option so you can
use it when you wish, but turn it off most of the time - until I get
it working correctly.

Another option would be a selection tracking message preview window
that is updated as you select different messages, without needing to
2x click an item to open the window. I haven't implemented this one at
all, although it has been in the back of my mind for a while.

The latter would be my preferred option as the tooltip feature really
does look quite nasty!

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=WUuYz0UisrBDuGjBvy68GEeFJlLmluGt-vDslqBcIFo-cNxnz5BkZjOQbzNLVXzGprHHpQDE2waVI9xRHUg">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net