Re: Audio Control schema changes

  • Subject: Re: Audio Control schema changes
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:59:00 +0000

More items. Edward suggested:

66
Class=xAP-Audio.Transport.Info
This should be periodically transmitted by the unit to indicate
progress through the current track.

Transport.Info
{
Mode=[Play  Pause  Stop]
Sleep=[Yes  No]
Power=[On  Off]
Length="LengthInBytes"
--- 0 if mode=stop
Position="PositionInBytes"
--- 0 if mode=stop
Index="playlist index"
--- optional
Decoder="encoding:bit-rate:sample-rate"
--- optional and only if mode=play
}

Optionally this block can be followed by a Track.Info block (defined
below) the describes the track now playing.
99

James asked:
> xapaudio.transport.info
> Why bytes and not time? I know you could calculate this from the bit
> rate but as bit rate is optional its not guaranteed. esp as audio seek
> is in seconds the info should be the same format

Edward replied:
>With the Exstreamer (running Basic) the time based information is not
>easily available or reliable. It just plays a byte stream, the software
>get no information about the content. How about progress as a
>percentage (%) of the way through a track? That should be possible
>for any implementation.

I'd prefer something that isn't computer related (like bytes), that
can be consistent across all media/transports, and would also maintain
consistency with the Audio.Seek command from xAP-Audio.Transport. This
is impossible in Edward's Exstreamer case though.

So could Length and Position instead be either [hh:]mm:ss or 0-100%,
depending on what the unit can support?

I specifically went for mm:ss as that can be identified distinctly
from a standalone number which can therefore be read as a percentage
(with or without the % sign).

Or maybe a standalone number is the number of seconds, and the
presence of a % sign indicates the obvious?

What do you reckon?

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=Eb9Y0CdwyWNXxJdCdoaJP4grHdubz8FhgS0P1Ym2RFyc9_U2C-VrGainCAVz-rTixFN9hLEyJQXvlrGSJy44">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net