From: Edward Pearson [mailto:edward.mailgroup@xxxxxxx]=20
Sent: 22 December 2004 11:51
To: xAP_developer@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [xAP_developer] Wildcarding query

Here's my interpretation. I think of the address as two separate parts
separated by a colon.
<device-address>:<sub-address>
=20
I apply wildcarding rules within each part but not 'accross' the colon
=20
Given a device a.b.c:d.e
=20
The device would be targetted by a.b.c or some wildcard like a.*.c or
a.>
=20
You can then target a sub-device within that device by specifying a
sub-address after the colon either specifically
a.b.c:d.e or with a wildcard
a.b.c:d.*
=20
So, what that "last part" is saying is that if you want to target
some
sub-device (or selection of sub-devices via a wildcard) then the colon has
to be present. If it is not there then you can only address whole physical
devices not selections of sub-devices within that.
=20
Yes a.b.*:*.* is a match.
=20
But none of a.b.*.*.e   or  a.b.c.*.*  or a.b.*.d.* are matches because the
colon is not there.
=20
It depends on the implementation as to what messages targetted at the
devic=
rather than its sub-devices does. For example, in the X10 connector, all
th=
X10 modules appear on some sub-address eg,
ersp.x10.pacific:study.lamps
ersp.x10.pacific:study.uplighter
=20
The address ersp.x10.pacific deals with messages that relate to the
connector as a whole rther than the specifc devices eg, heartbeats come
fro=
that address only and theres a command to reset the connector which goes to
that address.
=20
The uplighter (and possibly other devices) is addressed by all of:
=20
ersp.x10.pacific:study.*
ersp.x10.pacific:*.*
ersp.x10.*:*.uplighter
=20
but not by any address with no : in it.
=20
On the topic of targetted bodies and body wildcaring, I believe this is now
depreciated and to be removed from the specification. The BSC spec has a
much better way of sending multiple command bodies rather than using the
target=3D within a body. I'm not aware of any working implementations that
=
use
or rely on target=3D within a body. Keep it in the header.
=20
'>' is the wildcard that matches 'all the rest' of an address, so no,
there
shouldn't be anything else to the right of it in the address (it's like
saying, "and anything else"). I apply this independently each
side of a
colon so to match that uplighter from above
ersp.>:study.> would work (that's the "exact matching
against..." coming
into play again). In my implementation, ersp.x10.> (no colon) doesn't
match
all (or indeed any) of the subaddresses, but this maybe off-spec.