RE: Hardware thing names

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C4DEA0.7609BDA0

Generally we have followed a naming scheme that closely represents the
phsical hardware that implements the network. One of the reasons for this
i=
so that it is clear where to target address messages (configuration
commonly) that are directed to the interface rather than its sub-devices.
The interface sits at sub-UID 00 and is the source of heartbeats. The
devices it controls are represented as subaddresses (as you have accurate
observed). This is how the BSC X10 connector works, eg:
=20
ersp.X10.server:livingroom.lamp represents a plug-in dimmer on X10 address
B7
=20
the part before the colon identifies the xAP/X10 software connector and its
associated CM12 X10 powerline interface
the part after the colon identifies (hierarchically if you choose) the
controllers on the X10 side
=20
There is a need for addressing schemes that follow a logical rather than
physical setup. Eg, a representation of devices as the end-user thinks of
them (assuming the end user is not the network configurator). For example
the end-user wants to control the lights and AV in the living room without
having to be bothered with the fact that they my be controlled by multiple
network interfaces from different manufacturers. This is something that
wil=
come with the introduction of the groups and scenes addressing modes
currently under discussion.