Hardware thing names

  • Subject: Hardware thing names
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:25:48 -0000

Having a little confusion with naming conventions.

Its to do with when one device "represents" many devices, much in
the
way that the HomeSeer interface and the CBus interface do.  I have
neither of these things so I'm going at this from some distance.

I think what these interfaces do is to represent the foreign devices
as a sort of interface:device type format, whereby all the represented
devices are subaddresses of a single device, eg
acme.homeseer.pc1:loungetablelamp
acme.homeseer.pc1:loungeceilinglamp

Is there any specification reason why the interface representing these
devices cant pretend to be lots of hardware devices
acme.lamp.lounge.table
acme.lamp.lounge.ceiling

Much as they would be if there were not represented devices but real
devices???