Re: Multiple Endpoints

  • Subject: Re: Multiple Endpoints
  • From: James
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:27:00 +0000

Stuart,

My vote would be to always go with the naming you use for services. As
in:
KCSoft.Slimp3.ServerName:Slimp3name
In essence your plugin based app is the same as the windows service
system. The master app keeps an eye on things but is really only a
device to start/stop and register devices. If you create it as a device
with subs which then have subs life is just too confusing ;-)

In an upcoming program, to make things easy for the end user I am using
a schema file that details devices and give frienldy names to elements
of the schema. To decide what the device is and what posible information
could come from it I use the first two elements, and use the remaining
elements for targeting. So far it is working very well.

With a spec 1.2 hat on:
"If a device exists on the xAP network with a logical name a.b.c, a
second device may not use the logical name a.b.c.d."
so
KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya FF123400 (the main runtime EXE)
> KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya.SliMP3 FF123500
> KCSOft.xAPConsole.anya.TiVoYAC FF123600
would be bad (I will admit I could be wrong)

The schema file is @ www.mi4.biz/downloads/schema.txt if you want a
look..

James