Multiple Endpoints

  • Subject: Multiple Endpoints
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:37:00 +0000

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:11:10 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=W-nzdwTmZ8pi4HkAucon5fzOUEs-SiVMFmQkV2tyzdq59cFCM4OCnvIhv_Q0_mypZyhhkoS66Xu0z_fkoMU">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>...so if you did want this then they should be numbered FF234400 and
>FF234500 say and generate a heartbeat on each - perhaps to show that
the
>news feed from each source is alive (?) . This would raise a few config
>issues too as you are occupying several UID's with one application... -
>tend to think the sub addresses are the easiest way.
>
> This is an interesting scenario though where there is an application
>for software streams to be represented using subs (which were
originally
>envisaged for hardware endpoints)- but the streams are really end
points -
>or sources; which seems reasonable...

Actually, it occurs to me now that this ties in with my own current
xAP application architecture.

I have one EXE, but many end-points within it. I was meaning to bring
this up from the SliMP3 targetting message I was discussing with you
here the other day, so I've renamed the subject slightly.

Originally I was using the UID subaddress node to differentiate each
of the endpoints within the application, with the main application
consuming the 00 value.

Then after some discussion with you I stopped doing this and reverted
to increasing the DeviceID. So the main app would be FF100100 and each
additional endpoint within it would be FF100200, FF100300 etc. This
leaves room for clashes if you're not careful.

I may have allowed manual configuration rather than this automatic
incrementing, but I'd have to go and check the source code to remind
myself.

So one app, many UIDs, many target addresses, much confusion,
especially as the Windows Service versions of my apps do it
differently again!

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=CvMeoG-QigEnCLHzBucGATVGu2IC15XbBqbWBBbwlqYbsX9wuOr2OkjUHn57TBvJafZ2ROdLmXV4E8nypHuV">stuart@x...</a>