RE: News.Report message schema in xAPFramework.net

  • Subject: RE: News.Report message schema in xAPFramework.net
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:11:00 +0000

Hi James

Is your usage of the : below just as a way of showing the hierarchy
?

- I don't think you are actually using any ":" sub addresses
within the news
application eg by perhaps representing each news feed as a separate source
and with its own UID ?

A thought.. perhaps it may be better to name your source addresses as

mi4.news.myPC:xapautomation FF234401
m14.news.myPC:reuters FF234402

etc with mi4.news.myPC being FF234400 and sending the heartbeat on this
UID ?

certainly what you have currently is two totally different source addresses

m14.news.xapautomation FF234400
mi4.news.reuters FF234400

... but they have the same UID ! which isn't right

...so if you did want this then they should be numbered FF234400 and
FF234500 say and generate a heartbeat on each - perhaps to show that the
news feed from each source is alive (?) . This would raise a few config
issues too as you are occupying several UID's with one application... - I
tend to think the sub addresses are the easiest way.

This is an interesting scenario though where there is an application
for software streams to be represented using subs (which were originally
envisaged for hardware endpoints)- but the streams are really end points -
or sources; which seems reasonable...

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=JGflNRL_oE_2XLFJblU2_tzr_fgtqkW9kWQhP9C1CT70osnqzdOQoyiSimUu3FwxQVwkfrG9dZU">James@m...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=_PHI1G5AQd2jFiQZyhV8l_Ts3F2uifcn9QhsvLsZkqoOEobMJ7jB5srwPbsCYQ_cB6nzFtZhs9UHllkjMpYcjFwvUyc">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>