Targetting a SliMP3 connector

  • Subject: Targetting a SliMP3 connector
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:28:00 +0000

Folks,

I have a xAP enabled application that talks to the Slim Server s/w. It
sends out heartbeat (h/b) messages with a Source of
"KCSoft.SliMP3.anya" (where 'anya' is the name of my development
machine that it's running on at the moment).

If you wanted to send a message to your SliMP3 named "Office",
how
would you think you would set the target address?

---

Personally speaking, and I've mentioned this before, I think a target
of "SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office" to send a message to the SliMP3 named
"Office" is ideal.

My app picks up those messages and deals with them. Really easy.

---

However, there's another line of thinking that says this is wrong and
I should only accept messages targetted at me directly, which I can
appreciate too.

So which of these do you think is correct for a Target address for the
"Office" slim, given the h/b Source address I mentioned before of
KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:

KCSoft.SliMP3.Office
KCSoft.SliMP3.SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office
KCSoft.SliMP3.anya.Office
KCSoft.SliMP3.anya.SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office

---

Now, my connector runs as a plugin privately here at the moment. In
standalone mode it sends out h/b's from KCSoft.SliMP3.anya as you'd
expect.

But if it runs alongside multiple plugins inside the same runtime (to
reduce the number of application windows you have open) then it lives
as:

KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya.SliMP3

Now of course that means that the targetting address for a Slim named
Office is completely different:

KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya.SliMP3.Office

At this point the code to try and accept all these different possible
target names is just getting ridiculous, and I feel I'm running down
the wrong path.

Intercepting SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office is so easy in comparison! No other
application has to be altered when you change the configuration of the
connector (even to a truly native xAP listener in the SlimServer s/w
rather than somebody spying in on the xAP network like I'm doing).

Any thoughts?

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=cBwI_YjyD7lrO5-CQec-IFqH-ZoUpIDyMAsWLYGI9WZGJT1s6vch5Rr2tEw56viGKRFqofoA1dUoYPFrtuM">stuart@x...</a>