RE: An Ethernet question

  • Subject: RE: An Ethernet question
  • From: Ian B
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:00:00 +0000

Hi Stuart

I am still looking at this (perseverance!!) and I have a port question or
three.

What are they?

On my micro do I have to listen on the same port as you are transmitting?
If
so how do I know which one you are using? Is this the same port there was
discussion about earlier and it was assigned by some body or other.

I assume if IP is used there is no port number - is this correct?

Thanks

Ian

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=gRBh5AfE-SEAJ_xtZysiiXRw52XjMZwgsDtTfTIRgCZ_cv3ndpcUfcCI2HrM7_sckuXpnYWgK-kQOBK1yw">lists@x...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=4Vtdb2b1VyTqgOpymtmQmEMz6OsS-EcIbbmZBPO0cs8DXfMfFj2IZi71J_b5J-ECfFZ0qMVClsKjeLBXiBtR18ZDrYgPdzEd">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=QeDYPKwYhPo-Dbj2XS1vJUVAK03P1W4ySJ-2HCVVsTlipCl-UYJd5DEZ-uTvsrQ6brxp8V-hFtiPcg">Ian@M...</a>>
>wrote:
>
>>If so, when writing a PC based application do you somehow specify
the
>>method used to send a xAP message in the program?
>
>I do. My framework code to send a message goes something like this:
>
>private void Connect ()
>{
> int port = xAPTransportInfo.GetListeningPort();
> IPEndPoint ep = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Broadcast, port);
>
> UdpClient m_datagram = new UdpClient();
> m_datagram.Connect(ep);
>} // End of Connect
>
>public void Send (xAPMessage message)
>{
> byte[] msg = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(message.ToRawMessageString());
>
> m_datagram.Send(msg, msg.Length);
>} // End of Send
>
>So it's all encapsulated in the UdpClient class of the Microsoft .net
>Framework. More than that I haven't really needed to know. There are
>TcpClient classes as well which I use to communicate directly with my
>TiVo's YAC listener.

>--
>Stuart Booth
>xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=lpG3h5k7OEqpy0b3ATNfIG8skty6ITe741qzjVrr9kRetMmQF4YlWYkVP6TWy1DYF0n1qWD1GO9GvARAC20j7A">stuart@x...</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=avBGFHd6nHjeWwPGQaaEjAn78wHSmGCiBLfBdsxAjPyvpWGxpK7zFHcjbSy9NxYb5zKgHjqH4FGwwbHkNS75jiUazW2LO8iX300PgI2wIZFX">xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>