An Ethernet question

  • Subject: An Ethernet question
  • From: Ian Bird
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:52:00 +0000

Hi all

I have been looking into writing my own Ethernet receive etc.
routines on my AVR to go with the Wiznet hardware. Anyway, since xAP
is a broadcast thingy does this mean it uses UDP all the time. From
what I gather UDP means the IP (source I assume) and message as well
as some other stuff is passed to the micro on the end whereas using
TCP/IP only information for the target IP (assigned to the micro)
gets through.

I think this means that TCP/IP is a connection based medium and UDP
is broadcast? Is that correct?

If so, when writing a PC based application do you somehow specify the
method used to send a xAP message in the program?

Sorry, no PC experience on this stuff

Thanks

Ian