Re: xAP-Update or config and a tad on discovery - long

  • Subject: Re: xAP-Update or config and a tad on discovery - long
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:06:50 +0100, "Ian B" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=ABcyUaVY5uEJfMB5gmvO5puciNpwKEKCvRiOI7NaPFTZQ22Ya72uZ1qc8pIPOgSf91s-S6xnKZg">Ian@M...</a>>
wrote:

>>>Is the RBControl device the thing that sits on the end of the
>>>RS232 link?
>>
>>I think RBControl is the schema I use but I would have to check the
docs
>>later to be sure.
>
>Oops, wrong. This is in the source string so RBControl is the
application on
>the PC that is 'controlling' the relay board so yes you were right in
the
>first place.

Next up then... How do you configure RBControl to describe your xAP
Network?

I mean, you can set the UID, Instance, Subinstance, Heartbeat interval
and serial number, but do you change them "manually" (by getting
RBControl to send the config messages) and then their state is saved
away on the device? So there's no "database" of configuration
details
anywhere, other than on each individual device?

The problem I've got that is generating all these questions is my
plugin runtime modules can load up any number of plugins. It easier
than starting 6 different applications or whatever, although that's
equally possible.

So it has to assign a different UID to each of the plugins. I'm
wondering about having the xAP logic modules (the plugins) discover
their own parameters from somewhere else vs saving them locally with
the module. I'd then be able to set 'global' parameters which they
could each individually override.

If I then move the xAP module from one runtime to another, I have to
move the configuration parameters.

Hmmm, I think it's a slightly different problem as you have a
standalone device and mine float around. Looks like I definitely need
to setup some individual parameters for each of the modules.

Sorry, just waffling,

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=ICBxE3E_3tg1DTy5Sk944t-AvhBspweCcF8LFAseV78xqYrdA1YdJ5HWFp7-tWKmOeQZgf8n7ureYNnWhQ">stuart@x...</a>