Re: Re: xAP / xPL Gateway

  • Subject: Re: Re: xAP / xPL Gateway
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:29:00 +0000

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:11:13 -0000, "mark_harrison_uk2"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=5aHTChCkdLcb_qqlSBXt0kD_7PB7QkP5Y86ocMLtM3ujl9Tqxh-datjaG1qhkiq5miGOFrYGRgP8">mph@a...</a>>
wrote:

>However, the comment to which I was replying was about the difficulty
>of configuring applications that could also be hubs. It's only
>Stuart's that have this capability, as far as I know? The other hubs
>are simply standalone things that aren't also applications in their
>own right.

I had a feeling that Keiran's did the same, acting as a Hub if one
wasn't already there. Ahhh, found it:

66
Subject: RE: [xAP_developer] hub compliance - dropping ports
From: "Broadfoot, Kieran J" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=c_YfV3YI-yunMAnXWXtG_VwHFHbCNoXUSofLqrJu2XH5VLDJMF-N4f3cuRiw8jKLdzsyQtv5BXp4P_dmiAVbClU_">kieran.broadfoot@g...</a>>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:15:39 +0100
:
The xAP module effectively provides methods for creating messages,
decoding them, setting segments etc and publishing them onto the
network. You can also set the module into listen mode to receive
messages. Basically if it cant find a hub it immediately takes on the
role of hub (only if set to listen), it will handle passing messages
on the correct interfaces to other ports on the machine running
xapplets etc.
99

"only if set to listen" suggests it's configurable.

>Is it possible to control service startup order?

I actually started looking at Services in a bit more detail last
night. Converting my new xAPplication architecture to a service was
very simple, but right at the last moment I had another idea and
started hacking things around. And this was at about half past
midnight on a Friday nite...

I'm still on that task so I'll look into this a bit more. I'm also
desperate to write an installer for these services as at the moment
they can only be installed via a command line tool, a showstopper for
a lot of folks I'm sure.

> I know that service
>dependancy trees are there, but are they under installer control (as
>opposed to developer control.) Ie - can an installer set up something
>within Windows which says "don't start service B until service A
is
>running"?

Can't answer this myself, but I will be able to shortly I hope..

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=va0whtc0ZZU9lBUfTIsWlbRV34YWNG7kZfDRC33Xa5cK6Qlug0qs4QCY89bVnLlM3hfvP_p1s_sT6X6UDA">stuart@x...</a>