RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema

  • Subject: RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:00:00 +0000

I'm a little bit lost on the context quoting here but....

Yes you could have your own status schemas as well - or just add body
sections into the basic schema to offer the more complete version - they
key
is supporting the basic one. This actually may be no more than including
the
basic body section n your own schema - but then I know you are adverse to
multi section bodies.

> >section which is shared also by the status.change schema (used
when -
> (from
> the original mail)
> >something changes) and the status.instruct schema (used to ask a -
> (from
> the original mail)
> Status.change is OK (for reporting a change) but to my mind a status
> request
> or notification should be just that. A status.instruct message goes
> against
> the grain and logic and I am not particularly comfortable with it.
This
> could simply be a name issue or maybe we need something like 'command'
> in
> addition to 'status'. Kevin - what do you think as the mail below is
> not too
> clear?

I think it is my terminology here - I am not happy with status.instruct
either - it should be a command type wordage

> Anyway, onto the message below. I like the solutions on offer and
> everything
> seems to have a list of plus points as well as minus points. The
latter
> solution with each body referring to a separate SubInstance makes for
> easy
> serial in line processing (minor point really) but the overall message
> size
> is quite large. No repeating name value pairs ;-))
>
> Having said that I also like the bit where each SubInstance is named
as
> part
> of a name value pair.
>
> The jury is out here on these but I would like to see it as a schema
in
> its
> own right which the developer can choose to support or not.

This I see as a problem - what I am advocating here is a mechanism to allow
xAP devices to inter operate in a basic fashion and to have a very basic
form of discovery of the inputs and outputs a device has, and their
capability eg ONOFFLEVEL - if developers chose not to support it then we
wouldn't have any benefit and the 'xAP experience' would be harmed. If you
chose not to support this area I really don't see the advantage of using
xAP
in the first place - you could really use any serial protocol like VIOM
say.
The choice to use xAP must be surely be based on the ease with which it can
interact with other xAP devices.. and this status issue allows you to layer
your own more complex status on top . It is truly KISS based as you say
below. If we end up with many different devices that 'support this bit' but
not 'that' and lengths may be no longer than 'this' and I don't support
'that' then it will be quite frustrating to the user. Of course the user
may
accept the lack of feature and still use the product - to an extent the
market can decide - if there had been X10 modules with status and also
without I know which I would have chosen. What can I do to convince you of
the need to do this, and how simple it is - and what exactly is the area of
concern in the implementation ?

KISS is

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=o2GX4mELTFG_auqd1sGBGY2qsCqKRxohhzMuggcPsNjkPyqewBR-iV8HsuiPh5lxhdlVlo05FyWXpd06tqCjsORU">lists@u...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=71WE4l9LOrZKUvVBs9s_l68YlEx9e3xbVozCzUl33cpPz2HWC-9VaN2B3MZEnfzTH2SZLf5ubK_acFMcV4A4ABgFBhP5fhg">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>