Outgoing Email Schema

  • Subject: Outgoing Email Schema
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:09:00 +0000

Hello folks,

I seem to be wibbling on various topics an awful lot this w/e. Here's
a new-ish topic.

This evening I have written a new xAPplication (another one!) that
enables emails to be sent from xAP messages. Works really well at the
moment, but only via SMTP and only through the one SMTP mail server.
For now at least. Anybody with an immediate use for this wants to test
it, let me know.

I have written a xAP schema for this which is very much in keeping
with the Mail.Incoming one (this is called Mail.Outgoing). I am not
aware of any similar schema in existence, although I was unable to get
onto Patrick's site earlier to see if he'd done anything along this
line when he was with us.

This is already fully implemented with xAPFramework, but I'm not
entirely happy with the mealy-mouthed email body and signature lines
stuff, but it does allow me to have multiple paragraphs or lines,
respectively, easily, which may be useful.

Here's what I've implemented:

66
Class=Mail.Outgoing

Message
{
To=(Email To: address field)
-- mandatory
From=(Email From: address field)
-- mandatory
Subject=(Email Subject: field)
-- mandatory

Org=(Email Organization: field)
-- optional
CC=(semicolon-delimited list of e-mail addresses to receive carbon
copy of email)
-- optional
BCC=(semicolon-delimited list of e-mail addresses to receive blind
carbon copy)
-- optional
}

There will only ever be the one Message block in the Mail.Outgoing
message. It is also a mandatory block. The following are optional.

Body.Text.X
{
Text=(paragraph to go in the email message)
-- mandatory
}

Each paragraph in the e-mail message body is made up of separate
blocks of type Body.Text. Each is indexed uniquely, and the index
number orders the paragraphs in the e-mail message body.

Body.Text is of course optional, and any number may be present.

Signature.Line.X
{
Text=(A line of text to go in the signature)
-- mandatory
}

Each signature line is appended to the e-mail message body. These
blocks are optional and indeed the signature may be specified in the
body text blocks.
99

James, you're the master of multiple entires like this. I'm thinking I
should maybe go with:

Body.Text
{
Text.1=
Text.2=
:
Text.X=
}

One 'line' for each paragraph in the email

Signature
{
Line.1=
Line.2=
:
Line.X=
}

Same again here. Only one Message, Body.Text and Signature block per
'email' message.

Any other thoughts, requests or opinions anyone? I haven't decided
how to handle multiple mail servers yet though. Still experimenting
with that one here.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=_NOlDUjiD_PyzHg0WLfC68H-YmJfVl5IgVm7OdsO0sSBz7ez8lD4ADYf8fVdUjA4ZJcvLa0kpTluFpWx_AXqjA">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net