Re: Schema Was Re: Call for Participants.

  • Subject: Re: Schema Was Re: Call for Participants.
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:05:00 +0000

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:33:30 +0100, "Stuart Poulton"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=oot-Lp5drxT8i1l1M1gd0UF1XBj41yP0E7WohI9XQNAzWuk1V2eR93gr_KDDhD2g30_rCKei5Grd1SDp03RBxUr3gBSlBhs">stuart.poulton@a...</a>>
wrote:

>To compound matters within these schema the same functionalitly is
often
>carried out in different ways for example from the audio transport

>mode={playpausestopoffonnextprev}
>Command=[play  pause  stop  next  prev]

I can't find that mode example in the audio schema that Command came
from. Or at least a search in the Word document located nothing. I'm a
big fan of consistency but if I've missed a case, I'll certainly
correct it.

>There is no agreement on how time/date information should be provided,
some
>use timestamp, some use timedate.

Suggestions have been made in the past, but a developer might prefer
one solution over another. I personally adopted the Gerry Dupre (I
think that was the chap's name) suggestion because I liked it at the
time and seemed well thought out. As there wasn't any other input I
built it into my framework, and the rest is history.

I'll dig out Gerry's email from which I based my implementation on.

Kevin has brought up this general topic in the past. Perhaps we need
to break things down a tad, such as with common integral field types
like Date/Time, take on suggestions, vote on one, and roll with it.

>I fear that even atempting to resolve these issues now will be
impossible,
>should we perhaps make some effort now to sort this, or in six months
we'll
>potentially have more schema with more problems, leading to developer
>specific applications.

I will quite happily change one and all of my apps and framework to
suit. Dull as mince job, but I'll certainly do it.

>Here is a simple proposal, if only for a few days, time be taken to try
and
>establish exactly what schema perform duplicate funcitions, and where
>possible work be undertaken to rationalise them, in so doing this may
create
>schema suitable for adoption under the xAP banner.

Ages ago, when Patrick was still around, I was meaning to do that with
our 2 CID schema.

I believe the Audio one was similar, in that I started adding loads of
extra stuff over and above his original one.

> Also, some time is put
>forward to documenting xAP from a user perspective.

Uhoh, that's Mark McCall's flag again.

My motivation level towards writing documentation is, as is clearly
apparent to anybody that reads anything I write, very low. I really
need to divide it up a bit into small chunks rather than regard it as
a big horrible job. I am far too slow to be able to knock up
everything I want in the time available, sadly.

S(b)
--
Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=vSCL8StoBQCtDzwOMPXnBPW9g74PjWvLdr8aCR9gu_1Fsl7pnqXmWCcJBusqQTyH_f0eWVlPQ3XNG1A4L0RVqgs">stuart@x...</a>>