Re: Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application

  • Subject: Re: Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an application
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:25:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=mSOO7dTVCSUrufGsf_xxsvjqH3QCFmrVSt5cuZd-54oFo7omz_T-FosAFfO7h8VNte4XoJTx69Lk">mph@a...</a>>
Sent: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:44:16 -0000
To: <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=F15ujv9EEZe_DrEqsmNtcbbM9fEfE4m4Pqtcm0o0-yOL_Grt0-8Bq-_UawiNPlIwkYvK2telN79nrm2G9amU0V1czl4">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>
Subject: [xAP_developer] Re: xAP "display rules" - request for an
application

> Kevin,
>
> Sorry. Let me expand.
>
> I'm aware that there are various tools out there that a programmer
> could use to create this. Actually, if I were just writing display-
> rules priorities for my own use, I'd probably just put something
> together in VB6 that used the VB6 OCX and Mary's "put xAP in a VB
> collection" routines which would make parsing very easy.
>
> I believe what we need is a tool that _DOESN'T_ require one to be
> able to write code.
>
> Something drag and droppy that sat on a xAP network, listened to the
> types of everything that appeared, and let you drag them into a list
> with ones at the top of the list appearing on a display in preference
> to ones below.

I'll admit that xPLHal is far from being a tool where you don't need to
write
code, but you certainly don't need to be a programmer either to come up
with
some basic rules.

We have a wizard that helps you write the routines by asking you questions
and
letting you build up what you want the routine to do using a graphical
interface, but that's really intended for macros, e.g. turn on this X10
address,
then schedule an event to turn it off in 30 minutes etc.

I guess to avoid writing any code at all, we'd need a wizard to handle the
conditional logic of what happens to a message as it arrives, but in
practical
terms I don't think a graphical interface could ever offer the same
flexibility
as a few lines of VBScript code.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the sort of user interface they'd
like to
see for this sort of thing though.

Regards,

John