RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies

  • Subject: RE: Re: Context parameters within Message Bodies
  • From: Ian B
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:20:00 +0000

Ah, I may be one step ahead of you here then. I have just ordered an
embedded Ethernet development kit which I am hoping will enable me to add
Ethernet as the native interface for my new devices. It will use the
Realtek
chip found on your average 7 quid network card so I am hoping the cost per
project will not be huge and certainly bring it into the region you are
looking at below. We shall see.

Whilst serial (485) is still a very cheap interface as far as a networked
medium goes it is not supported in 99% of homes. This applies even to my
own
where I have a 100Mbit Ethernet pretty much everywhere but not a serial
cable anywhere save to HV and the phone logger. The watering etc. use
dedicated cables and not a serial link.

This and feedback from various sources have led me towards Ethernet. I
think
this could fit into a 16k Atmel chip costing around a fiver so it still
counts as a low end device in my book.

I am hoping that new devices will come in around the price point you are
looking at but in small quantities. This obviously depends on the
capabilities and interactive stuff with screens etc. will push the price
up.
Something like my I/O controller will come in at the lower end of the
scale.

What do you think?

Ian

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=KjYh-5bUcdrgAkZpYrXdTacB7toxt_M-iDTzwgab9YWnMYVEA8bhsqBgH4k3Lwe-2LpGgS1UGcsgzQ-7">mph@a...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=tPivGXz6rjbQJ5tRsE4xAYZOQmJ4K4UcxRm-utiwx-O7s6VqS5dc9YTUqMr4Ptg0Wob5WZY8Hbck9TLeY9sdrGuIZw">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

"Ian B" <Ian@M...> wrote:
>> >Yes I agree (been there - got the T shirt)... but what you are
>saying is
>> >that end nodes ultimately will be receiving compiled scripts
>(xAPscripts)
>> >telling them how to interpret the various schemas - sort of
blows
>the small
>> >pic based end nodes out of the water. Where, and who is
developing

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=6Ve-I7GKOFMgH-3DY2YrEqOWNbChgVQ408-bmIUDVbIRTVO7LZZP8LMcXBUnn9qse8dO4_I6HsGZV-G3zxdOdPm9yTdEFrs2JeBi02ucPKW1wA">xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>