Re: Re Debug messages

  • Subject: Re: Re Debug messages
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:48:00 +0000

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:10:58 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=XIXaAaDhqYgSPBpOTPtHkBTMhfHjqh14HHSGpaHz82icHJB7BtUTS2-vi0dUi-VmDZwBrhHEF85lQVNKEVAag3pU">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>I while back I was thinking that we should have a xAP based error
>notification using xAP messages - a sort of schema for sending out
>diagnostic / debugging /error messages such that a central application
could
>log or monitor them.

I've been thinking a bit about a "I've arrived home" type xAP
event.
The first thing I do when I get home is turn the PC on (yes, I know,
how sad :-) but that's partly because I cycle home so when I'm getting
changed I just turn it on as I'm passing. Those with more advanced HA
systems won't even need to go that far of course...

So how does this relate? Well I'd certainly be interested in a daily
summary of any problems detected, which fits in with your idea.

>Perhaps two schemas...
>
>Class=xAP.Error
>Class=xAP.Debug

And a message that can be fired at an app to enable debug output?
Errors should always be reported as that's a user level thing, Debug
output is optional for debug environments, say if you're running a
Debug build of some xAPplication/device. I may only want Debug output
to be sent when somebody has a problem I'm trying to help with.

The ability to fine tune the debugging reports would be nice, e.g.
including a category name.

>And within each perhaps three levels... possibly the block names should
be
>identical though with just the class names different.
>
>Error.info
>Error.warning
>Error.critical Fatal ??

Critical *and* Fatal. Critical is bad news, but I can continue. Fatal
is game over, (baby).

>Debug.info
>Debug.warning
>Debug.critical
>
>Or alternatively put the severity into the block

In the block? It's data after all, rather than different type of
block? Then again, maybe there are different data sets possible with
each type of message.

>xAP.error
>{
>severity=critical

Personally speaking I don't think the "xAP" in
"xAP.<something>" adds
too much value in the block name, so in this case maybe just Error?

Actually Error.Warning reads quite nicely doesn't it? And multiple
problems would be (ala James):

Error.Critical.1
{
Exception=The memory at 0xDEADBEEF was invalid
}
Error.Warning.2
{
Error=Disc space is low
}

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=CcZLSKJTZUFPtRs2OLEWad923gvrXJxyxDoOthqBdDNFnW6lYyriZqQoH6DuRl8PWCGJkdVZGIO_RNYSG6_hgz_c">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net