Re: xAP-485 Bridge Software

  • Subject: Re: xAP-485 Bridge Software
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:54:00 +0000

Apologies in advance if I state the obvious anywhere! I've got a bit
of catching up to do with you here I think.

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:24:26 -0000, "Paul Barrett"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=gh4wPv-FsOLKAzuuwP6y4AF67DBefWf6oSm9qZaingOdJx89t9zC9S5xCvwtcOVB4fNU-7JvFXYnJaBrzDd_3XY">pbarrett@r...</a>>
wrote:

>> So you need an application on the PC that takes incoming xAP
messages
>> and transmits them to the PC serial port?
>
>Yeh thats right but also receive from the PC Serial port and transmit
on
>ethernet

There isn't any built in support for serial comms in .net. But you can
use various OCXs easily enough. You may even have a licence for MSComm
(which needs VS6 or VB6 installed) already.

Alternatively here's a C# class that I picked up off the Internet
somewhere that I've used in the past:

<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=21";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=21\
</a>>

There's probably several other options available to. I've got this
high on my ToDo list but haven't managed to get to it yet
unfortunately.

>I use VS.NET 2002 at the moment although I am looking at getting VS.NET
2003

In that case you'll probably find that my solution file won't open in
2002 as it's a VS.net 2003 file. I did use 2002 initially but quickly
swapped over to the 2003beta in its early release form.

There's nothing special in my solution file so if you wanted to create
a VS.net2002 version I can walk you through that.

Basically you just need to delete the .sln, .suo, and .csproj files
from the source download package. Then create a solution with 4
projects named:

xAPMessage
xAPTransport
xAPSchemas
xAPUtilities

The source download also has xAPCallerID, which you can add later.
Then copy the source files from the download into the above folders,
and add the files. There's a neat option in the Solution Explorer of
VS.net titles "Show All Files" which makes adding new files very
easy
indeed. I'm not sure if this is a 2003 feature only however.

You'll need to add references for each of these projects as follows:

xAPMessage - needs KCS.Utilities (see the References folder in the
download)
xAPTransport - needs KCS.Utilities and xAPMessage
xAPSchemas - needs KCS.Utilities, xAPMessage, xAPUtilities
xAPUtilities - needs KCS.Utilities, xAPMessage and xAPTransport.

And that should pretty much build just fine.

I guess the next steps after this are:

1) Figure out how to send/receive xAP messages from the LAN
2) Sort the serial communications
3) Join the two together to create the bridging xAPplication.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=3A3Grph-Xe0iSD0FjYh2xS6-tauNuQQWJKZbOPp7vnB-xrv85w_cu_m0o0iTjq5m1PQeZzBUvUI_ScXh_aHmyA">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net