Re: Questions...

  • Subject: Re: Questions...
  • From: mark_harrison_uk2
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:06:00 +0000

--- In <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=svo1FZaBxC74YIKQ_5se9XWYzPZP_LVVkVg9kKFHGSJp7qTsp-jRw2dmNykCFMLnEjwtjx44oSYZ3d1ifpX6j0ODihc">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Patrick Lidstone"
<patrick@l...> wrote:
> --- In <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=svo1FZaBxC74YIKQ_5se9XWYzPZP_LVVkVg9kKFHGSJp7qTsp-jRw2dmNykCFMLnEjwtjx44oSYZ3d1ifpX6j0ODihc">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>,
"mark_harrison_uk2"
<mph@a...>
> wrote:
> > Stuart,
> >
> > I know that you raised this (the question of generic display
> schemas)
> > a few months ago and there wasn't really any reaction.
> >
> > Can I suggest that you write up what you think should be
> the "display
> > schema" and post it here... then we'll give it a couple of
days
for
> > people to see.
> >
> > A "priority" flag might be an idea here, with a general
guideline
> > that, say:
> >
> > - priority=1 .... sufficient to send an SMS
> > - priority=2 .... sufficient to override current displays
> > - priority=3 .... general information
>
> This is a bad idea because *you* as the programmer are making
> assumptions about the fact that *I* as an end user might deem a
> particular event as being high priority.

Patrick,

I had not envisaged that the PROGRAMMER would set the priority at
all. I had assumed that the INSTALLER would configure the program as
to the message prioritisation.

For example, in the "system monitoring" application, there is a
hierarchy:

- The monitoring agents send out their "system status" messages

- There is a central "monitoring server" that watches for traps /
conditions, and raises an "alert" based on business rules.

The skill of the installer is in determining that, on a mail server,
a "critical" threshold is reached when CPU utilisation hits 90%,
but
on a client PC it doesn't matter (because the client PCs run things
like UD).

I think, however, that you are right - that confusing the
"alerts"
class with the "display" class is a bad idea.

M.