RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema

  • Subject: RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:26:00 +0000

Sorry - bad form here but copied from a parallel thread after I had started
this one as they are the same thing....

On this particular issue (see below) I'm in two minds. It strikes me (as
you
say) that yes this is a feature that many people may want to do and in a
way
it doesn't muck up a base device that can't support it as the '+' or '-'
before the percent indicates that a relative value is being sent. However
my
goal here was to try and clarify responses that come back from a simple
device after a status request rather than basic commands that can be sent
any device - on thinking about it we do need to do both.

However it does imply two things..

1) That a device is capable of intelligently altering it's value by
a relative amount - an X10 module can't do this for example but it's
controlling xApp possibly could. An X10 module can however resond to a
dim/bright command that alters the relative value by a fixed amount for
every one it receives - is it 16 levels which equates to +/- 6% for each
one.

2) That a device could intelligently report a level change as a
percentage of it's previous level - eg again taking an X10 device that
after
receiving two dim commands it can report it's level as -12% - is this
really
in the realms of a simple device , and possibly with the inheritance issues
as well .. not so sure
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=JtNHXt6evJdYqMtA-gGFCIlHdgVqhP8Xyca4oDxECRr0bLM0NWGnv4x8V9PuB2eaQ7J7Zz_Y_T-RQajkqXfq">lists@s...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=kLk7_7x7m8LJ56ZUT-b1gKq5mx3sbE7yJZUpNeoRpKmeTIQwrCquX2RhiD0UmCoCaiv1CaefVShLbp2czP9WErp8RQ">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=2bniWA_1SL_v6sCBcIsgTmBHFjQQZstDXLkXkQcVzgYMMoZLj_qdmYFWCvGKeHlZBH8ryu1aeJjrSKs5O_9HVA">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> >Topic 1: A base level 'Status' schema that provides for minimalist
> >essential state reporting for the typical devices that are
prevalent
> today
> >in the HA world. ON OFF LEVEL etc
>
> Can we add incrementation of Level too e.g. +20%, -15%? Ie a relative
> value as well as an absolute value. I think that's a common thing to
> want to do.
>
> I really need to learn more about how the various HA packages support
> additional custom plug-ins.

> --
> Stuart Booth
> xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=BvyQ2RNJ84NOv5vtcN6BRMIN2dQ3dMDSsY6qZUXYdr1DpezOQLzZRDWtHJdhVbRB3SRsY4TyYAX6dYIX38Q">stuart@x...</a>