RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema

  • Subject: RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:26:00 +0000

Sorry - bad form here but copied from a parallel thread after I had started
this one as they are the same thing....

On this particular issue (see below) I'm in two minds. It strikes me (as
say) that yes this is a feature that many people may want to do and in a
it doesn't muck up a base device that can't support it as the '+' or '-'
before the percent indicates that a relative value is being sent. However
goal here was to try and clarify responses that come back from a simple
device after a status request rather than basic commands that can be sent
any device - on thinking about it we do need to do both.

However it does imply two things..

1) That a device is capable of intelligently altering it's value by
a relative amount - an X10 module can't do this for example but it's
controlling xApp possibly could. An X10 module can however resond to a
dim/bright command that alters the relative value by a fixed amount for
every one it receives - is it 16 levels which equates to +/- 6% for each

2) That a device could intelligently report a level change as a
percentage of it's previous level - eg again taking an X10 device that
receiving two dim commands it can report it's level as -12% - is this
in the realms of a simple device , and possibly with the inheritance issues
as well .. not so sure