Message block components

  • Subject: Message block components
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:00:00 +0000

For a while I've been building a small a library of message block
values formatted in a well defined way in my xAPFramework software. A
toolkit of these, whether in code or as a documented way to format
certain commonly used fields helps build message block values.

For instance;

TimeBasedPosition=[+/  absolute]

PercentageBasedPosition=[0...100  +nn  -nn]

RangeBasedPosition=[0...200  +nn  -nn]
(Where 200 is a configurable limit, similar to the above)

I'm sure there are a pile of other formats common to many things, much
like Kevin's Mode=[ON  OFF] status schema with its Level option.

Whilst custom cases will always be required, perhaps sticking to a
single field value format as much as possible in schema would be a
good idea to reduce the number of parsing/formatting code functions in
software. This eases testing and reduces potential for bugs,
especially if these sorts of things are implemented in the SDKs.

Just a small thought whilst it's in my head.

Stuart Booth - a reusable xAP framework for .net