Class Inheritance

  • Subject: Class Inheritance
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:00:00 +0000

On Wed, 21 May 2003 13:53:38 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=OKMXAg9Zt_bOQsh6e16Pf9v1l3t6HgVsi5vKQdRXbsAcwQK9ysJ-xAjoD8z_XQXV7moZvvhUVelGffUqpA">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>Topic 1: A base level 'Status' schema that provides for minimalist
>essential state reporting for the typical devices that are prevalent
today
>in the HA world. ON OFF LEVEL etc
>
>Topic 2: Discussion around inheritance of classes - for example if
>the above Class was defined as XAPSTATUS then should xAPStatus.C-Bus
inherit
>from xAPSTATUS and further should xAPStatus.C-Bus.Lighting enforce the
>inheritance from the C-Bus class.

Gosh, you know, that strikes me as being really near now you mention
it. I started wondering how you'd specify the 'base' class, but it's
already there, in the type name, isn't it.

xAP-Audio.Transport
xAP-Audio.Transport.SliMP3

I could chuck away a separate class I suggested in the xAP-Audio
schema, that of SliMP3.Transport (although back then I was under the
impression that Classes had to be Class.Type formatted - you
subsequently drew my attention to the fact that a.b.c.d etc is valid).

If I send a message with a Class=xAP-Audio.Transport can I include a
xAP-Audio.Transport.SliMP3 message block in the body of the message? I
am inclined to say no.

If I specify a Class=xAP-Audio.Transport.SliMP3 I should expect any
block from any of the parent classes.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=00dmn8cHo0kJkcMN9dDupKJ9nvbjneD5TAOkLAqUgSVmRCQy3Riz1XO9W4KKecgNek8ePEhehtZx0I6JwmWsvA">stuart@x...</a>