Re: Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:16:00 +0000

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:02:58 +0000, <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=w5aoKB27Hh8FZ_AZ1r30Y7kxiN6lbHFh6mlKG9yl96-GawzkOGNvX3_8fFJduVedkOMsTapJHFxhIA">mph@a...</a>
wrote:

>Frankly, if it's to control a SliMP3 in the office, I think it should
be called

>SliMP3.office - irrespective of whether it's physically implemented as
a server

>process that controls using Slim's proprietary protocol, a RABBIT that
babble
>to the Slim's serial port, or a bizarre thing that fires custom IR
across the
>landing...

I totally agree, which was why I targetted my message at the device
via "SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office" (an actual physical device address
which
is free of any dependency on connectors or other software support)
rather than by mixing two different things together, as I see it.

I do like the fact that the KCSoft vendor name does target *my*
connector over another one running on the xAP network, and
"*.SliMP3.*" targets all possible connectors in the world for all
Slims on the network.

It just seems like more work for the installer/user to configure
things than we need to give them.

The display message sender has to be configured to use
"*.SliMP3.<whatever>" if the type of connector in use is
unknown.

Seems like if there are a range of connectors that can be used, either
mine, Patrick's or a native Slim one, all apps that want to display on
a Slim have to be adjusted to either use the correct connector vendor
name, or "*.SliMP3.<whatever>" by default.

But at the end of the day I hear what you're saying, and that
"KCSoft.SliMP3.Office" is in fact a shortcut for:

KCSoft.SliMP3-Connector.Office

Ie in actual fact all my Slim display messages are being directed to
my connector and *not* to the Slim as opposed to my way of doing it
which is to have my connector listening out for messages directed
towards the Slim rather than itself.

I'll add in the necessary configurability to my apps to allow the
installer to decide what they want. That way I can do what I want :))

Stuart

wrote:

>> >Stuart,
>> >
>> >The format, AIUI, is:
>> >
>> ><software developer for that connector>.<type of
device>.<instance of
>> device>
>> >
>> >In this case:
>> >
>> ><software developer for that connector> is you, KCSoft,
and set by the
>> >developer.
>> >
>> ><type of device> is a SliMP3, and is set by the
developer.

>> ><instance of device> would be the actual device, and is
set by the
>> installer.
>>
>> Ahhh, now I'm starting to understand all you guys' train of
thoughts.
>> That is clearer.
>>
>> >This gives KCSoft.SliMP3.office as the correct addressing for:
>> >
>> >- The KCSoft software
>> >- Running on a SliMP3
>> >- In the office
>>
>> But the software isn't running on a SliMP3, and it isn't running
in
>> the office. It's a separate application running on my Server,
hence
>> "KCSoft.SliMP3-Connector.Server" is the correct address
for the actual
>> connector software I believe?
>>
>> Are we sending messages to the connector application or to the
Slim in
>> your example above. I can see what you're both getting at I think,
but
>> it still feels unnatural.
>>
>> "KCSoft.SliMP3.Office" suggests to me:-
>>
>> The KCSoft sofware.
>> That controls a SliMP3.
>> That is located in the office.
>>
>> This is referring to two beautiful and unique snowflakes (;-). Two
>> separate entities on the network in one address. It seems a little
>> ambiguous.
>>
>> I think it feels right to send messages to the Slim rather than to
the
>> connector, as this rids us of a dependency on the type of software
>> running, and makes things more transparent.
>>
>> >It is, again, up to the INSTALLER to understand what has been
installed. It
>> is
>> >NOT up to the developer to assume that they can understand the
topology.

>> >Obviously, in the case of a developer devloping for their own
personal use,
>> the
>> >temptation is to take shortcuts, but this overall doesn't
benefit the
>> >community, and the hope is to leverage the work of LOTS of
developers, so
>> that
>> >no-one needs to develop more than a small piece.
>>
>> Well, I can still do both - The official way and the installer's
(me!)
>> way for his own use :-)))
>>
>> Stuart
>>

>> >Quoting Stuart Booth <<a