Re: UIDs

  • Subject: Re: UIDs
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:11:00 +0000

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:04:38 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=6wRbMs8q3KFIhUDFIr3yhfJNNCcA2_bVCmZYQGqV_6djs22mPS5eb5HU38XCyZkYK-AQhq0sEoPBOGqWKg">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>My view is the separate UID's (deviceID) for each app within your
container
>- plus a UID for the container - after all a component could fail and
the
>container still continue so separate heartbeats are necessary for each
xAPp.

Indeed. That's exactly what started me down this route in fact. I had
to find a way to configure the components to generate their own h/b.
Luckily I have an object that manages that, given a heartbeat message,
but I quickly realised I had to alter the UID somewhere.

>I know then it doesn't become obvious from the UID's that one is a
container
>for the others - you could sort of use FF00 to FFFF for this though. ??

And in fact that was what made me think to alter the subaddress node,
to indicate they were all packaged together.

Something I wanted was the main UI container application to be able to
set the component UIDs, hence the auto-incrementing of the subaddress
node value for each plugin component.

I may have to come up with some mechanism such that the installer can
configure the plugin component DeviceIDs.

>thinking aloud ??
> I actually have a similar situation with C-Bus - should each
switchplate
>and dimmer pack have it's own UID and then each output a hardware sub
>(ideal) or should the C-Bus gateway xAP have just one UID - or even
should
>the C-Bus lighting have one UID and C-Bus Security say another. In a
way my
>C-Bus gateway is a container for a load of xAPp devices which in
themselves
>have hardware subs - I need a three level hierarchy too - I am using
this
>FFxx approach currently - maybe we should have this as a sort of policy
>usage/understanding.

So your UIDs look like "FFFFxx00" ???

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=nJZLufYsEQJzsb5mgYeyZNK2fkGIM6UTz0XXPd-4oZs7IXdiQ0F0jrxODn5Oj9woNK7Xtm_pREDAuAQH0zeBRg">stuart@x...</a>