RE: UIDs

  • Subject: RE: UIDs
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:49:00 +0000

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=7VjtHLy-pabIKN20krK5N2L3UNz_e6dY-kIOGOx62hdLrYGZEdpnaHIZPbUFgXCpiys5Pl55Pe_3pv79amA-">lists@x...</a>]
> I am currently working on a standard UI that loads up a random set of
> xAP business logic modules.
>
> Each 'plugin' has its own heartbeat, as does the xAP module
> 'container' application.

In which case I believe each plugin should have its own UID ie the centre 4
hex values should be different for each plugin - separate hardware subs
should NOT generate individual heartbeats. Separate xAP applications
should.

> Now that I've seen your notes on UID I'm wondering if I've set the
> UIDs correctly.
>
> The main 'container' application that loads fhe logic modules uses a
> UID subaddress value of 0. ie. FF123400

Sounds OK

> Each 'plugin' increments this UID subaddress node by 1, but shares the
> DeviceID, which I believe is correct. So SliMP3Connector is FF123401,
> and CallerID-OSD is FF123402, etc.

I don't think this is what was intended - I admit the areas between
software subs and hardware subs can become blurred though. In my view every
xAP application should have it's own UID (deviceID, generate a heartbeat
and
the last two digits are for identifying an endpoint within that xAPp -
normally a hardware terminal that might be serviced by one xAP application
-
for example 1 switch on a 4 gang switchplate - 1 relay output on Ians relay
board - 1 channel on a dimmer. 1 led on a board, 1 parallel input line on
HomeVision. In this way the linking of an input (say a switch) to an output
say a lamp can be achieved by storing just the source UID in the receiver.
Also a device that presents say FF123401 to FF123420 has an implicit 32
terminals of I/O which can help in discovery and makes supporting something
like HomeVision much neater.
I would add that such a devices would have source addresses of
something like UKUSA.MultiIO.PIRs:Lounge UKUSA.MultiIO.PIRs:DiningRoom
UKUSA.MultiIO.PIRs:Kitchen UKUSA.MultiIO.PIRs:Hall etc - indeed 32
different
source addresses - and note the : separating the hardware subs from the
software subs - this is the only way that the separate inputs can be
identified in a source address. The portion before the : represents the
xAPp
that services the endpoints and is that generates a single heartbeat (no
hardware subs with the last two digits of the UID as 00. I have just
thought
that either these last two digits should be our reserved FF to indicate
that
the heartbeat represents multiple endpoints - or perhaps should be the
highest value of the hardware subs (20 in the example) to indicate there
are
32 end points within that xAPp - again useful for discovery. An alternative
would have been to include the output information from each endpoint within
the body but then you lose the source filtering ability.
In your example above effectively your SliMP3 and your CallerID are
becoming hardware subs - which I am not sure is incorrect (they are
hardware
devices as such) but a news connector really shouldn't appear as such,
which
I am thinking in your setup it would.

> "No hardware subs" suggests that a subaddress of 0 on the
main
> container application is incorrect.

Your situation is complicated by the fact thatt you have a container
application that (could) contain other software applications - a sort of
hierarchy taht I hadn't anticipated - further clouded by the fact that the
SliMP3 and CID are hardware - do you need this hierarchy - I am leaning
towards all software xAP's - and that includes xAPp's with one hardware
endpoint eg the CID or SliMP3 should end their UID in 00 and not use
hardware subs.

> What do you guys think?

> --
> Stuart Booth
> xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=95aPf_uF2p1u7kQk06Wqq-1lVCQxdYZCzGtCA9NZQJKcbSvk2kGLzsNBJnuzO0sGy8e3uShxZzS7Qlq2ew">stuart@x...</a>