RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema

  • Subject: RE: Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema
  • From: Ian B
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:14:00 +0000

From personal experience in the serial world time is already proving short
i.e. transmission speeds. I am working on an add-on that will control my
Venetian blind (up and down) which is activated by moving water from one
container to another. I am using the inputs on my I/O controller board to
track its position so it can be stopped at any of 16 positions. Running on
serial half duplex link I am currently having problems with input change
messages colliding with command messages going in the opposite direction.
This is quite a slow speed application but it is real time. It cannot wait
for potentially several other messages otherwise I will miss the intended
stop point ;-(( I can get around it no problem but it may be a symptom of a
greater potential problem.

Anyway, the point of this story is that to keep traffic down my vote goes
with all status's in one message. This is also what I have done with my
controller. I have status messages for both inputs and outputs under each
schema. I also have an optional status body of 'Type=Detail' which I use to
return all those funky details like serial numbers etc.

I also think that analysing the inbound message is neater if it is all in
one body particularly in an embedded device.

HTH

Ian

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=f8KahkPLkkhOieN-sVqGciXbF-mitGJkgSNL1FW8F7Wqj3CHg1LrRsdfF-p9aWqodxoY5bMxoOsn2KJyatPTtIA">lists@u...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=jKrqefX6GSCB8ZQh5fSqyX9zd7PVEcjPabsiN2paKr5jYnKBnUtcNK81FoTGrktcjxBpfT476rlyQYeKu83jix61v7vW">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>
>Subject: RE: [xAP_developer] Topic 1: Base Level Status Schema
>

>I'm trying to nudge this topic up to the top again so we can decide
>something for the developers looking at including xAP support in
existing
>controllers.
>
>Are we happy with as previously stated..????
>
>State as
>ON  OFF  UNKNOWN  NA (not applicable)
>
>And also for LEVEL expressed as a percentage eg 20% 88.3% or again
UNKNOWN

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=JlE-suRkVSkLHa4uSYiaacqe4bPgm_x9QtXVRIVi9bND5DKa5fxnm5M_isAO2KqAVe475z5hloYNn279qfH1oA">lists@x...</a>]

wrote:

> > > We must also address the issue of a Status response from a
xAPp
> > that
> > >has several outputs - which should, if it adheres to the spec
contain
> > >several hardware sub addresses and also alter it's UID for
each
> > separate I/O
> > >end point (or terminal). It's clear that if we target a
specific
> > output end
> > >point (which currently is only possible via addressing not
>UID) then a
> > >status response relates directly to one terminal and the
above
> > scenario
> > >works - what should happen when a status request is sent to
the xAP
> > itself -
> > >one that may have several I/O ports that it services. Clearly
I think
> > the
> > >device should respond with the state of all of it's inputs
>and outputs
> > but
> > >should it do this with one body or should it split each into
> > separate body
> > >somehow identified through the header or perhaps issue
multiple xAP
> > messages
> > >one for each I/O ?? This has a ramification on how tidy and
basic we
> > can
> > >make a basic status schema.
> >
> > This reminds me of what I've been wondering about James' News
feed. If
> > you included data in the block name you can include the status of
each
> > port in a separate message block in the message body, and use the
same
> > format for each block.
> >
> > Is there any scope of including instance data in the block name
format
> > e.g. Block.Name:Instance ?
> >
> > I've preferred to have data variables inside the blocks though.
It's
> > data, not a type, after all.

> > --
> > Stuart Booth
> > xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=q_uW5eZKQHk3E4QhDpifwDzw44ZdA9rIQlSv2kijwTrVWo6J4dUfrmZzaIMGpGsE_6yhRtIzjRypJNVOJF0W">stuart@x...</a>

> > Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's
Important

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=_EmwmGVVLJ2IODLYDfLhPLHNrGn72pLSwHjxG_guHn9Gto_NjdtqZq8ZpriFBtl6zFoKrpB0Fqgxnf1hV_ZXcHQUr4oYlvLHb2Jc2gIu1iOiQA">xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>