Re: Topic 5: targetting Based on UID

  • Subject: Re: Topic 5: targetting Based on UID
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:08:00 +0000

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:35:21 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=YQCdhwM9OGZyiz8itapLJy4dckB5ocp2LYrA0Ulac2CUUzOaBLCxrxsZFpb045kF-ETiwQ7evQmyJVuBwv45HA">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> How about a low power switch being able to just target
>a lamp based on UID - now again the low power switch can make the same
>savings - but actually it can't because it would have to send the full
>target address as well. Are there ways around this ?? Well yes, but
they are
>not tidy. You could enlist a 'helper' (cache) on a xAP network that
>monitored any devices targeting just based on UID and filled in the
targets
>full address as well, or you could just allow it as a device
restriction. My
>feelings now are that the latter is unacceptable and the former
>overcomplicates the whole operation of xAP.

So a helper app would detect a message with only UID targetting in it
(no full target address).

A lower-end device hunting only on target UID would pick up the