UIDs

  • Subject: UIDs
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:55:00 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for the mails today with thoughts on message validation.
Some of you are aware how strict my framework code is - whilst
correct, it kinda gets in the way sometimes! Anyway, some of your
ideas are going to filter into my framework code I think.

It never ends. One of these days I'll actually get a new version
uploaded. I like it to settle in on my home network before I release
each version. I'm not getting a chance at the moment and it seems like
changes are acoming!

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:35:21 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=79oXCCmCOdMqPfPEZhH3-9XLyzBL1jpgjFgvvoLSf26T0JL5raV-SqPdmAt_1IDs14aJGewQJd6kI6oR9Q">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> Whilst on this UID usage point can I stress that the xAP spec
>reserves 00 and FF in all cases in the UID component places as
'reserved ie
>xx0000xx, xxxxxxFF and 00xxxxxx etc are reserved. Local network ID's
should
>be FF (one of the reserved cases) and devices with no hardware subs
should
>end in 00. I am expecting that we may use xxFFFFxx as a way of
introducing
>virgin xAP devices onto a network and auto configuring them, but that's
>another topic.

I am currently working on a standard UI that loads up a random set of
xAP business logic modules.

Each 'plugin' has its own heartbeat, as does the xAP module
'container' application.

Now that I've seen your notes on UID I'm wondering if I've set the
UIDs correctly.

The main 'container' application that loads fhe logic modules uses a
UID subaddress value of 0. ie. FF123400

Each 'plugin' increments this UID subaddress node by 1, but shares the
DeviceID, which I believe is correct. So SliMP3Connector is FF123401,
and CallerID-OSD is FF123402, etc.

"No hardware subs" suggests that a subaddress of 0 on the main
container
application is incorrect.

What do you guys think?

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=an5fZwfCA1TcAMjIEco7jzfW07Hf9_n7nnri04Rbxzy-md3T9dYQLZ70hYZU5-h68kZIIwy0XvKPqTziFzqugQ">stuart@x...</a>