Re: <a href="http://www.xapframework.net/">http://www.xapframework.net/</a>

  • Subject: Re: <a href="http://www.xapframework.net/">http://www.xapframework.net/</a>
  • From: James
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:00:00 +0000

Alistair,

There was a problem with the hoster for both xapframework.net and
mi4.biz, this has now been fixed so you should be able to access both
sites now!

Yes you are right, something does already exist that does this. I have
a program called Watcher(www.mi4.biz) that reports PC status, remote
reboot/lock/shutdown and acts as a display client. It could be a bit
overkill if all you want to do is shutdown a PC though!. (This is
windows only.)

It would probably be a good idea to use the same schema in your app so
as to keep thing consistent.

The schema for this is:

To lock the workstation

Class=PC.Control

Control
{
Lock=Yes
}

To shutdown the workstation

Class=PC.Control

Control
{
Shutdown=Yes/Force
}

To reboot the workstation

Class=PC.Control

Control
{
Reboot=Yes/Force
}

If you were planning on adding things like time delay, shutdown message
etc. then you could simply add it to the above like this(Watcher doesn't
support this):
Class=PC.Control

Control
{
Reboot=Yes/Force
Time=300
Message=Your PC is about to reboot in 5 minutes.
}

This way even if an app doesn't support the message and time parts it
can still act on the reboot line.

Hope some of this helps, feel to ask questions! As for re inventing the
wheel, this is one of the advantages of xAP. As long as the schema is
compatible then the application is agnostic.
Are you mainly a windows or *nix developer? (just curious :-)

Good luck with your first xAPp

James

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 00:29, Alistair Watkins wrote:
> hi,
>
> am just working on my first proper xAPplication, something to remotely
> shut down network PCs (something may already exist, but I am up for
> re-inventing the wheel) Have been trying to look at
but it appears to be down, is this a

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=mnGDWXl1oMfNlzdEsEA40zexjq9u74RvokEOJ5Hx_XobLc16g5UkM6d-K33VxhnQn46t6BjGD1B0Uu6k3iOq5w">mail@a...</a>