Re: POP3 mailboxes and subaddresses

  • Subject: Re: POP3 mailboxes and subaddresses
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:32:00 +0000

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:55:32 -0000, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=uy5ZaHzlwqL0AgX4EKbHy7LYgowXl0n_euGAYM7p24cGxJIDSNA-2jl2xcvV7ntQ8XZGIv7doC_7I9kfW3aoL7fl">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> Certainly putting the server name as a hardware sub will help me
>substantially in identifying the source - this is all tied up with this
>whole topic of 'context' within message bodies. I still feel we need a
way
>of tagging the name/value pairs that carry context within such bodies.
>Hardware subs are all well and good but they can't cater for the
complex and
>sometimes overlapping contexts that can appear in real life. Has anyone
had
>any more thoughts on this ??

I confess not. I haven't really yet found a particular problem that I
need to solve that forces me to think about it more thoroughly. It
being relevant to something I'm working on at the moment helps focus
the mind tremendously!

> Re the specific question I feel that the targeted message makes the
>most sense but this has strong overlaps with basic status and control -
have
>you had a look to see if you can support that at all ?

Again, not yet. I have been finishing off a few application updates,
which are all taking longer than I'd expected. HOWEVER, now that you
have found something that I can map directly onto BSC I can have a
think about doing something firmly grounded in real life use rather
than being totally experimental. That's massively helpful.

> In BSC there is a
>specific status request mechanism that is targetted at the fully
qualified
>source address (including hardware sub) and a more general mechanism
>implemented via the application address (no hardware sub addressing and
the
>'00' UID).

More news as it happens on this suggestion...

Let me get these updates done and out the door first though. Some have
been sitting on the workbench for far too long now it seems (notably
the new SliMP3 Connector, new POP3 Mailbox Monitor and NewEmailOSD
updates). Then I can either start on some new projects or experiment
with BSC wrt POP3 email. I'll set things up to benefit other xFx-based
applications as far as possible too.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=L_YhidfPPSOWjPUo1lFjr2QJTaYdNww2P8b6Wm2dVyFgAgT4nP4UZ7qAAaApT3yWNjf1DFY2WrihGcDVus_E">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net